[Simh] DECnet for Linux problems (Ubuntu 17.10)

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 11 17:21:07 EST 2017

Tim,

Linux-DECnet used to be maintained by Chrissie Caulfield.  She gave that up three years ago.  You might ask Steve Whitehouse (steve at chygwyn.com <mailto:steve at chygwyn.com>) or Eduardo Serrat (emserrat at hotmail.com <mailto:emserrat at hotmail.com>) for advice.  I last worked on the code several years ago for a DECnet/FAL-to-NFS gateway I built on a Marvell SheevaPlug (ARM) SBC using Arch Linux ARM linux-kirkwood-3.16.  (The latest Linux longterm 3.16 kernel at that time was 3.16.6, at https://www.kernel.org.  The last Arch Linux ARM Kirkwood-specific Linux 3.16 kernel was for 3.16.6 on October 16, 2014, at https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/commit/8be533de52d44d39b2b12999e979d4d377f5e2e5.)  I had to patch the kernel driver in a couple places.  There have been so may changes to the routing layer and networking in general in the Linux kernel, it could be a substantial amount of work to advance the decnet driver any further.  Also, I found that submitting patches to older kernels is a bit of a problem because of the attitude of the gatekeeper of the Linux networking code.

baker at usgs.gov