[Simh] Dec-10 Day announcement from Living Computers: Museum + Labs

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 09:38:26 EST 2017

> On Dec 10, 2017, at 5:12 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> Rich. This is a nice thing. Thanks.
>
> I have one question/wish, though.
> I don't know if you were aware of a device called the RM06. This was a Massbus disk created by Shelby, which was varible size.
> It would be a really nice thing to emulate. I can probably reverse engineer it from the RSX driver, and I don't know which systems ever supported it. RSX for sure. Possibly also RSTS/E, but beyond that is more uncertain. Most people and systems had moved on from Massbus before this drive came out.

RSTS should be able to handle a third party Massbus disk if it identifies itself by the ID code of a DEC disk and has the same geometry.  (More precisely: if it has more cylinders than the original, that would be ok, those would be ignored.  But track and sector counts must be exact.)

With the source kit, you could add a new disk model, it isn't all that hard though it is completely undocumented.  I suppose it might be possible to *replace* an existing entry.  Haven't looked at that.  Studying the sources should tell us.

	paul