[Simh] Ubuntu 17.10 and TAP device for SIMH

Tim Stark fsword007 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 15:44:44 EST 2017

Folks,

Since I upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10 (now GNOME shell), I had some problems with
networking setup.

I finally resolved a problem with TAP device because ifconfig display format
changed.  I updated my shell script to create TAP0 device for SIMH use.

With /etc/network/interfaces, I still have some problems with auto br0 or
tap0 setup.   Does anyone have good TAP0 setup for that interfaces?

I successfully installed SIMH 4.0 beta and noticed that new VDE facility
(virtual distributed ethernet). That is very new to me.

Does anyone have any experience with VDE?  VDE vs TAP?

For 4K monitor users, login with Xorg and use 'xrandr -output DP-1 -scale
0.5x0.5'.

Thanks,

Tim

Here is my new shell script for SIMH's TAP device.

#!/bin/sh

HOSTIP=`/sbin/ifconfig eno1 | grep "inet " | gawk -- '{ print $2 }'`

HOSTNM=`/sbin/ifconfig eno1 | grep "netmask" | gawk -- '{ print $4 }'`

HOSTBR=`/sbin/ifconfig eno1 | grep "broadcast" | gawk -- '{ print $6 }'`

HOSTGW=`/sbin/route -n | grep ^0.0.0.0 | gawk -- '{ print $2 }' | head -n 1`

#

#echo "Host Addr  ${HOSTIP}"

#echo "Netmask    ${HOSTNM}"

#echo "Broadcast  ${HOSTBR}"

#echo "Default GW ${HOSTGW}"

#

/usr/bin/tunctl -t tap0 -u sword7

/sbin/ifconfig tap0 up

#

# Now convert eth0 to a bridge and bridge it with the TAP interface

/sbin/brctl addbr br0

/sbin/brctl addif br0 eno1

/sbin/brctl setfd br0 0

/sbin/ifconfig eno1 0.0.0.0

/sbin/ifconfig br0 $HOSTIP netmask $HOSTNM broadcast $HOSTBR up

# set the default route to the br0 interface

/sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0/0 gw $HOSTGW

# bridge in the tap device

/sbin/brctl addif br0 tap0

/sbin/ifconfig tap0 0.0.0.0