[Simh] VAX SimH network not working

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Thu Dec 7 00:11:09 EST 2017

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Shaun McCloud
<shaun.thomas.mccloud at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have OpenVMS VAX 7.3 running in SimH on my Windows laptop, and I am trying
> to use networking using the WiFi on the laptop.  However, I am getting an IP
> address of 0.0.0.0/8 in OpenVMS and obviously this is not the IP range I use
> at home (it is 172.16.6.0/24).  Below is my current vax.ini so I don't have
> to type all the commands every time.  Does anyone see anything with it that
> could cause the problem I'm seeing?

Shaun,

Wi-Fi networking is not like Ethernet!  You'll need to set the MAC
address to that of your Wi-Fi interface and make sure nothing tries to
change it (which means you cannor run traditional DECnet protocol -
however, TCP/IP is fine).  See the
https://github.com/simh/simh/blob/master/doc/simh_faq.doc MS-Word
document section 2.12.

Tony