[Simh] VAX SimH network not working

Shaun McCloud shaun.thomas.mccloud at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 23:24:13 EST 2017

I have OpenVMS VAX 7.3 running in SimH on my Windows laptop, and I am
trying to use networking using the WiFi on the laptop.  However, I am
getting an IP address of 0.0.0.0/8 in OpenVMS and obviously this is not the
IP range I use at home (it is 172.16.6.0/24).  Below is my current vax.ini
so I don't have to type all the commands every time.  Does anyone see
anything with it that could cause the problem I'm seeing?

;
; Load CPU microcode
load -r C:\Users\smccl\Downloads\simh\ka655x.bin
;
; Attach non-volatile RAM to a file
attach nvr C:\Users\smccl\Downloads\simh\vaxdata\nvram.bin
;
; This virtual machine has 64M memory
set cpu 512m
;
; Define disk drive types. RA92 is largest-supported VAX drive.
set rq0 ra92
set rq1 ra92
set rq2 ra92
set rq3 cdrom
;
; Attach defined drives to local files
attach rq0 C:\Users\smccl\Downloads\simh\vaxdata\d0.dsk
attach rq1 C:\Users\smccl\Downloads\simh\vaxdata\d1.dsk
attach rq2 C:\Users\smccl\Downloads\simh\vaxdata\d2.dsk
;
; Attach the CD-ROM to its file (read-only)
attach -r rq3 C:\Users\smccl\Downloads\simh\vaxdata\cd.iso
;
; Disable unused devices. It's also possible to disable individual devices,
; using a construction like "set rq2 disable" if desired.
;
set rl disable
set ts disable
;
; Attach Ethernet to a network interface
set xq mac=00:00:01:00:00:01
attach xq eth1
;
; Uncomment the line below to enable auto-boot
dep bdr 0
;
; Choose one of the following lines. SET CPU CONHALT returns control to the
; VAX console monitor on a halt event (where behavior will be further
; determined by whether auto-boot is set--see above. SET CPU SIMHALT will
; cause the simulator to get control instead.
set cpu conhalt
;set cpu simhalt
;
; Now start the emulator