[Simh] C9.io

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Dec 1 17:26:03 EST 2017

On 01-Dec-17 17:07, Dan Gahlinger wrote:
> a pi would do it.
> and it's not opening it up
> you open to just one port to just that pi
> for just the pps

Not quite that simple.  To expand on what I wrote previously: Typically,
machines inside your router trust each other.  In that case, once on the
Pi (or SimH guest), a user has access to anything else on your internal
network, unless you setup the right firewalls on each of your other
internal machines.  With a little care, it's not hard to setup a subnet
for the Pi & emulated machines that everyone else can distrust.

E.g. You open an ssh port to your Pi.  A user who ssh's to that Pi now
has a local address, and can ssh to your desktop - or browse for
Windoze/NFS shares - or whatever.  So you need to adjust the firewall on
your desktop to be very careful about what it permits from the Pi.  (And
guests on the Pi.)

It takes some thought to setup a moat around the Pi, but isn't
especially hard.  It does require a change in mindset from "everything
inside my router is more trustworthy than the outside" to "inside my
router is no guarantee, and access is case-by-case."

Note that the network stacks on the Guests probably haven't been updated
in a few decades, so while they will interoperate, they may have
exploitable bugs.  (Exploits never completely die...)