[Simh] EXT :Re: C9.io

Ray Jewhurst raywjewhurst at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 15:51:31 EST 2017

The networking shouldn't be a problem since I only want to use my cellphone
as a telnet client.

On Dec 1, 2017 3:47 PM, "Timothe Litt" <litt at ieee.org> wrote:

Xeon etc is probably overkill.

Use a Raspberry Pi.  About 7W under load with a monitor, KB, mouse w/WiFi
active - you don't need a monitor, KB, or mouse once setup.  You can
disable the WiFi. (A couple more watts if you use a magnetic drive, which I
recommend).

One time cost is about $100 once you add a case, power supply & SD card to
the $35 board.

For a reasonable workload, that should suffice and is about as inexpensive
to run as you can get.  Pi 3 is a 64-bit ARM CPU @1.2 GHz CPU - with 1GB
memory, ethernet, WiFi, & bluetooth. (Some  OSs are only 32 bit at the
moment.)  You can easily scale up with multiple hosts - it takes quite a
number to reach the price of a Xeon.

If you stick with standard packages, security is pretty much one-time setup
& periodic package updates (which includes the kernel).  As it's cheap
enough to be dedicated to simulation, it's not a disaster if something bad
does happen - as long as anything else on your internal network distrusts
the Pi & its guests.  If you put the emulated OS on the public network,
that's a bigger exposure than the host OS.

If you just provide SSH access, I recommend disabling passwords and using
RSA keys only.  It frustrates the script kiddies, and you don't have to
worry about password quality.

Cloud hosting has its own pitfalls.  I'm not a fan.

Someone mentioned running on a cellphone.  That's tough if you want remote
access because as frequently documented here, WiFi implementations don't
get along with SimH's networking.

Have fun.