[Simh] DEC VT emulators on MAME

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Apr 11 02:32:28 EDT 2017

On 2017-04-11 01:31, Richard wrote:
> In article <c54a5796-bf95-06e4-9890-6d17259c069c at softjar.se>,
>     Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:
>
>> On 2017-04-11 00:27, Richard wrote:

>>> What do you mean by "ROM cartridge"?  I've never seen any cartridges
>>> for DEC terminals, not even the GIGI.
>>>
>>> Are you referring to E80?
>>
>> No. The VT330 and VT340 have an external cartridhe that plugs into a
>> slot in the back, and which holds most of the code.
>
> You're describing this like there's a port on the external case of the
> terminal for this, but I am not seeing that in the diagrams.  It shows
> on the engineering drawings as a connector on the rear side of the
> CPU module.

Correct. There is a port on the external case.

> <http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/terminal/MP02411_VT330_EngrDrws_Feb87.pdf>
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes. I don't know how you read schematics, but if you start with that
document, you have the ROM cartridge mentioned already on the first page.

Going to the CPU module, you have a huge connector called J3, which is
where the cartridge plugs in.

And then of course, you have the ROM cartridge drawing itself, starting
at page 25.

It's so clear in those schematics that I have no idea how you cannot see it.

If all you are searching for is a picture where you see the external
slot, those drawings don't dhow it. The only picture of the rear shows
half the rear with the cover, and half without. The cartridge slot is
behind the part drawn with the cover.

> While we're talking about additional ROMs that need to be dumped,
> there appears to be a ROM on the graphics board as well.

Yes, I'm seeing a 27256 in there.

	Johnny