[Simh] TOPS-20 5.1 on KS10?

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Thu Sep 8 19:39:28 EDT 2016

> Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 20:43:57 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net>

> I've heard and seen anecdotes of people having run TOPS-20 5.x on a KS10,
> does anyone know how it was done, or done it themselves?

As far as I know, exactly 1 person, and 1 person only, ever ran Tops-20 v5.4
on a 2020, my late friend Mark Crispin.  He did it as an exercise, to see if
TCP/IP networking could be squeezed into the limited address space of a KS10
processor.  When I asked him about it a decade ago, he stated that the code
was lost and he had no interest in redoing it unless he was going to be paid
his regular consulting rate.

I'm willing to be proved wrong, but unless you want to port v5 yourself, I'd
say you were SOL.

                                                                Rich