[Simh] Fwd: Re: EXT :Re: Ultrix 4.0 and DEQNA-LOCK

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sun Sep 4 20:37:03 EDT 2016

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Not sure what kind of pains or issues you see.
> I've been writing code that deals with network interfaces for many years, and
> on Unix it usually just works and is very simple, while on Windows machines,
> it's a pain in the butt, if it works at all.
>
> And I've used the same code on both Linux, OpenBSD and NetBSD, and it
> works the same on all of them.
>
> Also been running simh on both OSX and Linux with no problems with the
> networks at all, for many years.
>
> So in a way I'm very curious what kind of problems you experience, and in
> which way you find Windows works better for you, and in another way I just
> feel like pointing out that at least I do not share your experience at all.

Not to suggest that anyone will change anything about what their
favorite platforms are, but since you raised the question...
Some things are actually simpler with a Windows host system running
a simh simulator with Ethernet connectivity.  Specifically, to achieve
TCP/IP connectivity between the host system and a OS running within
a simh simulator on that Windows box, there are absolutely no extra
steps.  It just works.

Most/all Unix or Unix like operating systems have significant
potentially complicated extra steps to achieve such communications.

Sure, often direct communications may not be necessary since much
access can be achieved via telnet talking to the simulated system's
simulated serial ports, but that just side steps the problem.

- Mark