[Simh] Interdata OS/32 question

Davis Johnson davis at frizzen.com
Thu Sep 1 21:09:00 EDT 2016

OS/32 is pretty dumb when it comes to terminal handling. Basic command
line interface, a line oriented editor.

Later versions came with "medit" and microemacs, both of which are
screen editors and configurable for about anything.

It'll work with just about any normal dumb terminal. Pick one that
doesn't display rubout characters and transmits backspace for the
backspace key and you'll be good.

It can work with a VT - they were common at the time. It takes some
tinkering to reduce the pain.

My current working system works with a vt-100 without a garbage on the
screen. It will take some time for me to reconstruct how I got there.
Part of the problem of sharing is that I'm running a modified simh-3.8
that emulates a 3220, not an 8/32 and OS/32 09-02. And the OS may have
been modified as well.

In the mean time, dropping back to the TTY driver might help, but you
will loose command history and command line editing, lower case support
and a few other niceties that probably won't matter when you are just
trying to make it work.

An ASR-33 had a 72 character line length - you may want to specify a
longer RECL if you do go back to it.

And I really do need to work my changes into current and get them back
into the mainline release.