[Simh] EXT :Re: Ultrix 4.0 and DEQNA-LOCK

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Sep 1 08:32:11 EDT 2016

On 2016-09-01 14:20, Hittner, David T (IS) wrote:
> FWIW, A dated comment from someone at Digital indicating that Ultrix 4.3 treats DELQA and DELQA-Plus as DEQNA, and it is unlikely to ever change.
> http://www.verycomputer.com/7_50c10d446aeab2b0_1.htm
>
> I also see other posts showing Ultrix 4.5 also running in DEQNA-LOCK mode. Maybe Ultrix was never upgraded to use the DELQA and DELQA-Plus enhancements.

Well, as others pointed out, the normal operation/programming of the
DEQNA and DELQA are the same.

The DELQA-PLUS is a different story. But that's not what we're dealing
with here.

So, it really works pretty much the same no matter if it is a DEQNA or
DELQA. The differences have more to do with some built-in MOP handling
in the DELQA, along with the ability to perform network booting, which
the DEQNA cannot. Also some watchdog functionality.

So yes, I would indeed expect that Ultrix would treat the DEQNA and
DELQA the same. And if it don't have a driver for the DELQA-PLUS, it can
run that one in normal DELQA mode as well. The DELQA-PLUS mode is
better/more efficient, but that is the only one with a different
programming model.

	Johnny