[Simh] Operating Systems with Sources

Mark Emmer markemmer at SNOBOL4.com
Mon Oct 24 11:48:44 EDT 2016

Sorry Al, but I've been pedal-to-the-metal for the past 15 months on
another project and haven't been able to get back to the 940 timesharing
system.  I think the last status I reported was that it was running in
the original build configuration of mag tape and drum, with the ability
to re-assemble, link and run a new O/S from source files.  File I/O to
the drum worked, but the tape-based file system (including
overwrite-in-place) is a disaster that I'm avoiding.  I can't even get
it to recognize when I think is a properly labeled tape, and the new
tape utility is absent.  Best hope is to get the Data Products or Bryant
disk driver working and build a proper disk-based system.
Unfortunately, the Oper utility to layout a disk with file directories
and boot images is missing, so I'm going to have to cobble up something
in C to replicate it.

I do intend to work on it again when programming becomes fun again.

Mark