[Simh] Older Model VAX simulators, what can you do with them and how do they work?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Oct 10 12:50:18 EDT 2016

Ultrix would be different than BSD.  Ultrix was done by DEC in Merrimack
(Original in TIG - Telephone Industry Group).  Originally all UNIX
"support" was a special for a customer - AT&T.     When DEC finally decided
to compete in the UNIX biz, Ultrix became a first class OS and a product.
The key is that Ultrix would have supported all the Vaxen, and all PDP-11s
with an MMU - because by then that was what it was supposed to be.   It
also had the DEC languages suite (Fortran, Pascal, Cobol, etc as well the
DEC linker from VMS).

3BSD, 4BSD and 4.4BSD all came out of UCB's CSRG before TIG morphed into
the Ultrix team.  Remember Ultrix was based on a lot of BSD technology -
and they are close - but were not the same.