[Simh] Older Model VAX simulators, what can you do with them and how do they work?

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 22:13:28 EDT 2016

Mark is right, just RTFM.  But as far as Unix goes here's a brief mix of my
experience, my memory, and very quickly looking through some sources:

4.2BSD kernel conf has settings for the 780, 750, and 730, and the generic
kernel ought to boot on any of those.  4.1C BSD has the same kernel conf
settings as 4.2 (no surprise there).  Vanilla 4.1 looks like it will only
support the 780, so anything earlier will definitely only run on a 780.
4.3 has 8600/8650 support and has MicroVAX II support but it's not in the
generic kernel, so you'd probably have to roll your own installation tape
to install from scratch.  4.3-Reno has a KA650 config option so it might
boot on a 3900 but no promises.

The Ultrix 1.0 manuals specifically mention the 780, 750, and 730, which is
no surprise because it's basically 4.2BSD with some add-ons.  Ultrix-32M
1.0 boots only on the MicroVAX I.  Ultrix 1.2 added support for the
8600/8650 and I believe Ultrix-32M 1.1 or 1.2 added support for the
MicroVAX II.  Support for the 3900 was added in, ah... looks like maybe
Ultrix 3.0?  Or a 3.0 patch?

-Henry