[Simh] Question about card readers.

Quentin North quentin at quentin.org.uk
Thu May 26 16:34:11 EDT 2016

I wonder whether OP is referring to a situation where there is a 96 character line, such as a programming language statement, and that the first 80 characters would be on a card and then the remaining 16 characters would be on the next card but with a continuation character in, say, column 1. I seem to recall that this was common in RPG-ii, Fortran and cobol when I was a kid.

Found a reference at http://www.edwardbosworth.com/MY3121_LectureSlides_HTML/IBM370_ProgrammingEnvironment.htm

Here is a card with column markings appropriate for FORTRAN programs.
Again, it has 12 rows, ten of which are labeled.

Note the division of columns into fields appropriate for the language
        Columns 1 – 5:       Either a “C” for comment or a five digit statement label
        Column 6:               Any nonblank character to indicate a continuation card
        Columns 7 – 72:     The FORTRAN statement
        Columns 73 – 80:   The card’s collating sequence.

Sent from my iPad