[Simh] Mounting tape files on OpenVMS problems

Tim Stark fsword7 at verizon.net
Sun May 22 21:46:14 EDT 2016

Folks,

I installed OpenVMS v7.3 on SIMH emulator last week and created my own user
account a week ago.

Under my own user account, I tried to mount tape files but got some errors.
When I tried to allocate MUA: TAP:, I got 'no available device to allocate'
error.  SHOW DEVICE command showed that there are 4 such MUA devices with
online status.  When I tried to mount tape files with /FOREIGN option, I got
'no privilege for operation' error.

Under SYSTEM account, they worked fine.

Does anyone know any guides to enable MUA devices for regular user account
to access without privilege requirements?

Thanks,

Tim Stark