[Simh] PDP-15/76

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Thu May 5 07:18:38 EDT 2016

> I didn't have much luck with tumble (some time ago); it tended to
> complain about the tiff input formats.
> That version/website hasn't been updated since 2003.
> I do have a more recent version in my archive; Don't recall where I
> found it, but it does somewhat better.  I posted it at
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2g2SW-v7RFZWW1BS1E4eVk3cVU/view?usp=sharing
> for now, but it needs a permanent home...
>
> ImageMagick (most distributions have it, or see
> http://www.imagemagick.org/) is my go-to tool for batch image
> conversion/basic manipulations - e.g. rotate, resize, flip, crop,
> dither, resample, etc.  It runs on linux, windows, OSX and iOS.  You can
> also adjust the colormap size to shrink the files, depending on the input.
>
>    convert *.tiff manual.pdf

It was ImageMagick and the convert tool I ended up using for the last file.
But firstly I have to scan the manual two times since it is double sided
(there is no duplexer and it there were it would have been extremely slow I
presume). The scanner programs generates file name numbering that I cannot
control when scanning multiple pages. So the trickiness is to splice
everything together at the end. Then secondly the scanner jammed at certain
times interrupting the number sequence. I ended up doing it manually. Maybe
there is a way to do it more automatically. I will find out next time I
scan a document.