[Simh] PDP-15/76

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu May 5 06:01:40 EDT 2016

On 04-May-16 23:19, J. David Bryan wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 17:27, Mattis Lind wrote:
>
>> This time I scanned it as TIFF instead of PDF. It appeared to have
>> produced a smaller file. The downside is that there were a lot of manual
>> work to combine the individual TIFF pages the scanner software
>> produced.
> I recommed the "tumble" utility here:
>
>   http://tumble.brouhaha.com/
>
> It will convert a list of TIFFs to a PDF with just:
>
>   tumble *.tiff -o manual.pdf
I didn't have much luck with tumble (some time ago); it tended to
complain about the tiff input formats.
That version/website hasn't been updated since 2003.
I do have a more recent version in my archive; Don't recall where I
found it, but it does somewhat better.  I posted it at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2g2SW-v7RFZWW1BS1E4eVk3cVU/view?usp=sharing
for now, but it needs a permanent home...

ImageMagick (most distributions have it, or see
http://www.imagemagick.org/) is my go-to tool for batch image
conversion/basic manipulations - e.g. rotate, resize, flip, crop,
dither, resample, etc.  It runs on linux, windows, OSX and iOS.  You can
also adjust the colormap size to shrink the files, depending on the input.

   convert *.tiff manual.pdf

There are a bunch of tools for manipulating PDFs; some free, some not.
Here are a couple.
http://www.pdfsam.org/download-pdfsam-basic/
https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/
http://pdfchain.sourceforge.net/