[Simh] TU-56

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 19:57:40 EDT 2016

On 24 March 2016 at 19:20, Alan Frisbie <Frisbie at flying-disk.com> wrote:
> Because it *could* be done?

I wasn't sure, since I never actually worked with the real hardware. I
assume the UBA on the VAX provides a "normal" UNIBUS, right? In that
case you could probably connect other "old" and "weird" devices to the
VAX. RP11 (RP01, RP02, RP03 anyone?), TA11 (TU60 DECcassette), VT11...

> I saw a TU56 running on a VAX-11/780 at the 10th VMS anniversary
> celebration at the 1987 Fall DECUS symposium in Anaheim.   It was
> done by Andy Goldstein, who kindly sent me a copy of the driver
> he wrote for it.   My intent was to hook my TC11/TU56 via an ABLE
> Q-Bus-to-Unibus converter to my MicroVAX-II, but I never got around
> to it.   I still have all the stuff, so I might yet get around to
> doing it.   Just because it *can* be done.  :-)

That TU56's were hooked up to a VAX-11/780 running VMS amuses me
greatly. And echoing Mark, yes please do provide us with the driver,
if you can.

Now, to putting DECtape on a MicroVAX... let me use a quote here:
"Science isn't about WHY. It's about WHY NOT."

Also, hmm QBUS<->UNIBUS bridges... you could stick a TC11/TU56 into a
MicroVAX 3900 or VAX 4000 Model 200.

Regards,
Christian
--