[Simh] TU-56

Alan Frisbie Frisbie at Flying-Disk.com
Thu Mar 24 19:20:30 EDT 2016

On 03/24/2016 03:57 PM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove wrote:

> Correct, as should be expected. None of the VAXen supported the
> "original" TU55/TU56 DECtape on a TC11; at least in terms of software
> support. I assume you'd be able to plug a TC11 into the VAX UNIBUS
> adapter, but *why* you would do that is beyond me...

Because it *could* be done?

I saw a TU56 running on a VAX-11/780 at the 10th VMS anniversary
celebration at the 1987 Fall DECUS symposium in Anaheim.   It was
done by Andy Goldstein, who kindly sent me a copy of the driver
he wrote for it.   My intent was to hook my TC11/TU56 via an ABLE
Q-Bus-to-Unibus converter to my MicroVAX-II, but I never got around
to it.   I still have all the stuff, so I might yet get around to
doing it.   Just because it *can* be done.  :-)

Alan Frisbie