[Simh] RTS/8 and DECnet

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 22:50:24 EDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Henry Bent <henry.r.bent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully brought up RTS/8 on SIMH?

I haven't brought up RTS/8 on Simh, but I brought RTS/8 up on real
hardware 30 years ago.

> ... I'm in the middle of slogging through editing
> RTS/8's PARAM.PA based on the V2B manual on Bitsavers, but I figured there
> might be someone here who has already tread this path and can provide some
> enlightenment about the best way to proceed.

I remember spending a lot of time getting through that myself, but
ultimately I was successful with repeating the examples in the
documentation and standing up an OS/8 task and a RAM disk with my
KT8A.

> The eventual goal is to try to bring up DECnet/8, which I believe is Phase
> II, but that's a ways down the road at this point.

ISTR that DECnet/8 is Phase I, but that's a memory from 30 years ago.
If you have the task and can inspect the code, it should say.  I
remember trying to get a copy of it from Xon Crossnoe (sp?) c. 1985
and fell out of touch before I could get it.  I know there's something
floating around these days (possibly on bitsavers) but I haven't read
it to figure out how it works or what it can do.

-ethan