[Simh] [SimH] Networking support

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Sat Mar 12 11:20:00 EST 2016

The PDP-10 has networking as well. The H316/516 supports the IMP
(interface message processor) used for ARPAnet.

Network was only implemented on systems that were in active development
past the mid 1970s, when commercial networking stacks like TCP/IP,
DECnet, SNA, BNA, etc emerged. There's an early DECnet implementation
for PDP-8 RTS, but that OS was not widely used. Later Interdata 32b
systems offered remote job entry (via HASP) and remote printing and
terminal service via Pennet, but I can't find any documentation on it.
(In any case, SimH doesn't support the post-Interdata P-E systems.)
Later HP 3000s had Ethernet; perhaps Dave Bryan will be adding it in
some future release.

A number of systems of the early 70s (including the CDC 6600 and the XDS
Sigma) had one-off interfaces to ARPAnet, using specialized IMPs, but
the implementations are lost.

If new simulators are written targeting more modern computers, then
networking is likely to be included. For example, any Alpha simulator
would have to include Ethernet support.

/Bob