[Simh] networking support

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Mar 12 09:09:47 EST 2016

On 2016-03-12 15:01, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Mar 11, 2016, at 8:41 PM, Bill Cunningham <billcun at suddenlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>      Are there any plans by the developers and maintainers to add networking support to any of the simulators that do not have it? AFAIK pdp11 and vax are the only two that have networking support.
>
> pdp10 does, also.
>
> It obviously depends on the simulated hardware.  You can't add networking to the IBM 1620 because that never existed.  In some cases, networking is purely a software function -- for example when the host OS does DDCMP over a UART, in that case all SimH needs to do is provide the UART.

Right. I suspect that by "networking support", Bill actually means
ethernet support. And that, obviously, only makes sense for platforms
that actually had real ethernet controllers back in the day.

Other medium used for networking also exist, and some are
implemented/simulated in simh. But I'm sure more could be done (as
always). Serial ports are always an obvious one...

	Johnny