[Simh] Disk info request

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Wed Mar 9 15:02:48 EST 2016

> From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>
> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 12:04:30 -0500

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

>> I suspect MSCP came before SCSI.

> I agree.   In DEC's case, support for MSCP certainly was first, but I
> believe the protocols are contemporaries. NCR was a very early SCSI player,
> but Western Digital, Shugart or someone like that might have driven it
> originally (I've forgotten - I have some early SCSI docs at home, I
> think).  I forget when I first saw it.

Shugart Associates introduced Shugart Associates System Interface ("SASI")
privately in 1978, publicly in 1981.  This was standardized by ANSI as the
Small Computer System Interface in 1982; doesn't anyone else here remember the
"sassy/sexy" vs. "scuzzy" mini-war?

The date on the UDA50 manual appears to be 1982, so yes, contemporaneous.

                                                                Rich