[Simh] Disk info request

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Mar 9 12:37:47 EST 2016

On 2016-03-09 18:04, Clem Cole wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se
> <mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:
>
>     I suspect MSCP came before SCSI.
>

> I agree.   In DEC's case, support for MSCP certainly was first, but I
> believe the protocols are contemporaries. NCR was a very early SCSI
> player, but Western Digital, Shugart or someone like that might have
> driven it originally (I've forgotten - I have some early SCSI docs at
> home, I think).  I forget when I first saw it.

Whoa, Clem! Careful with those quotes, please...
The full text was: "That is also the case with MSCP... Not sure if it
predated SCSI, but for Unix systems, I suspect MSCP came before SCSI. "

In short - I said I don't know which of MSCP and SCSI was first, but I
believe that for *Unix* systems, MSCP was seen first, based on the fact
that Unix was running on DEC systems, which had MSCP before SCSI.

	Johnny