[Simh] Unable to locate boot file

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Tue Jun 21 15:29:34 EDT 2016

> El 21 juny 2016, a les 21:08, Wilm Boerhout <wboerhout at gmail.com> va escriure:
>
> Again, do not try to outguess CLUSTER_CONFIG. If you have "vital" files in [SYS14...], back them up before you do a CLUSTER_CONFIG and let that procedude do its thing. You might even want to go ahead an select [SYS15...] as the root for your satellite. Then you are sure it is clean. By deleting the tree CLUSTER_CONFIG created, and copying over youw own [SYS14...], you almost surely brought the config problem back.
>
> Again, CLUSTER_CONFIG is tested and true, I've used it a zillion times and it never failed to create a correct satellite boot system tree for me.

As alternative, try to create a new (simulated) satellite and boot it. If it does not work, is definitely a cluster configuration problem in your simh 3900.

I don’t actually remember what SCS stands for, but it refers to the inter-system communications in a VAXCluster.

About @cluster_config. The first menu I get (this is VMS 6.1) is:

   Use CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM to set up or change a VAXcluster configuration.
    To ensure that you have the required privileges, invoke this procedure
    from the system manager's account.

    Enter ? for help at any prompt.

            1. ADD a node to a cluster.
            2. REMOVE a node from the cluster.
            3. CHANGE a cluster member's characteristics.
            4. CREATE a duplicate system disk for BITXOW.

From then, select 3:

 Enter choice [1]: 3

         CHANGE Menu

            1. Enable BITXOW as a disk server.
            2. Disable BITXOW as a disk server.
            3. Enable BITXOW as a boot server.
            4. Disable BITXOW as a boot server.
            5. Enable the Ethernet for cluster communications on BITXOW.
            6. Disable the Ethernet for cluster communications on BITXOW.
            7. Enable a quorum disk for BITXOW.
            8. Disable a quorum disk for BITXOW.
            9. Change BITXOW's ALLOCLASS value.
           10. Change a satellite's hardware address.
           11. Enable BITXOW as a tape server.
           12. Disable BITXOW as a tape server.
           13. Change BITXOW's TAPE_ALLOCLASS value.

BITXOW is my boot/disk server (the simulated 780). I’d run it from your 3900 and then I’d select option 5 just to be sure your NIC is enabled for cluster comms. If I’ve read correctly your original report, the NIC in the 3900 is not the same as in your physical machine, so there are chances the vaxcluster disk serving is still trying to use the old, non-existent one and so you are getting those “device not found” errors.

Nevertheless, as Wilm said, your best bet will probably be to backup the satel.lite system root, to create again the cluster and then add again the satellite and when it boots, restore the sysroot from backup. Before that, just give a try at @cluster_config and see what happens.

Good luck!