[Simh] EXT :Re: 8-bit pseudocolor on modern Windows PC?

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Wed Jan 27 17:51:59 EST 2016

On 27-Jan-16 17:39, Hittner, David T (IS) wrote:
> Pathworks 32 7.4 was the last published version and is certified for WinXP; the Pathworks 7.2 eXcursion X server never ran quite right on WinXP due to the screen driver changes.
> Pathworks 32 7.4 also ran well on Win7 at least in basic mode - it was a bit weird with Aero themes or transparency enabled - I think I may have had to tweak the application video compatibility.
> I haven't tried Pathworks 32 7.4  on Win10.
>
> I left the unsupported Pathworks 32 environments for the supported Attachmate terminal emulator and Xwindow server.
>
> FWIW, I seem to remember someone saying that PuTTY can do X pretty well with the free XMing X Server.
>
> Dave

XMing, the free version, hasn't been updated in years & has serious
issues with clipboard - tends to crash other apps.

I've recently switched to VcXsrv, which is more up-to-date, and open
source.  I've had much better luck.  It's based on xorg & seems
more active...Last release was last month.

That said, I haven't used either from SimH in recent memory.  I do use X
heavily from my Linux Boxes.