[Simh] A tutorial introduction to programming PDP-11 Macro-11 Assembly in RT-11 v5.3

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jan 21 11:53:32 EST 2016

On 2016-01-21 04:10, Will Senn wrote:

> On 1/20/16 7:37 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> I see you are having fun. :-)
>>
>> A couple of comments:
>>
>> ODT actually stands for On-line Debugging Tool, not Online Debugging
>> Technique.
>>
>> You display the map file after linking with /debug, but the actual map
>> file included was not from linking with /debug. :-)
>>
> Johnny,
>
> I have fixed the map.

Great.

>   With regards to ODT, the documentation calls it On-line Debugging
> Technique all over the place - from the System Utilities Manual -
> "On-line debugging technique (ODT) is a program that aids assembly
> language programs", from the Introduction to RT-11 Manual - "For
> MACR0-11 users, RT-11 provides a special on-line debugging tool called
> ODT (On-line Debugging Technique)." I agree it sounds weird, but I
> didn't dream it up.

Interesting. In the RSX manuals it clearly says On-line Debugging Tool.

Oh well, keep with what the RT-11 manuals says.

> I have confirmed that ;B does delete all breakpoints, but as you
> suggest, so does B by itself and nB will delete the specified
> breakpoint. G by itself doesn't work in this version of ODT (5.08). The
> address and semicolon are required. If a relocation register is set, the
> address can be relative to the relocation register. I took all of the
> ODT commands straight from the Utilities Manual and Introduction. I
> think the version as distributed in RT-11 v5.3 may work slightly
> differently from the RSX version.

Ok. So it is differences from either RSX, or some old vs. new version.
Then you should keep it as is.

> I agree with your point about word and byte boundaries. It felt awkward
> when I wrote it and then I got antsy and impatient to get done :). I'll
> fix it up.

Yes, that one was actually the first thing that caught my eye. I think
consistency is important.

> I'll have to play around with the current directory stuff and then I'll
> edit that section as well.

You mean the current/default device... ;-)

	Johnny