[Simh] A tutorial introduction to programming PDP-11 Macro-11 Assembly in RT-11 v5.3

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:10:15 EST 2016

On 1/20/16 7:37 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> I see you are having fun. :-)
>
> A couple of comments:
>
> ODT actually stands for On-line Debugging Tool, not Online Debugging
> Technique.
>
> You display the map file after linking with /debug, but the actual map
> file included was not from linking with /debug. :-)

Johnny,

I have fixed the map.

  With regards to ODT, the documentation calls it On-line Debugging
Technique all over the place - from the System Utilities Manual -
"On-line debugging technique (ODT) is a program that aids assembly
language programs", from the Introduction to RT-11 Manual - "For
MACR0-11 users, RT-11 provides a special on-line debugging tool called
ODT (On-line Debugging Technique)." I agree it sounds weird, but I
didn't dream it up.

I have confirmed that ;B does delete all breakpoints, but as you
suggest, so does B by itself and nB will delete the specified
breakpoint. G by itself doesn't work in this version of ODT (5.08). The
address and semicolon are required. If a relocation register is set, the
address can be relative to the relocation register. I took all of the
ODT commands straight from the Utilities Manual and Introduction. I
think the version as distributed in RT-11 v5.3 may work slightly
differently from the RSX version.

I agree with your point about word and byte boundaries. It felt awkward
when I wrote it and then I got antsy and impatient to get done :). I'll
fix it up.

I'll have to play around with the current directory stuff and then I'll
edit that section as well.

Again,

Thanks for the response.

Will