[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Jan 8 15:19:57 EST 2016

On 08-Jan-16 14:44, Larry Baker wrote:
> Paul,
>
> That is correct.  In X3.27-1978 (version 3) and earlier, date fields
> are 6 characters " YYDDD".  The first character must be a space.  In
> X3.27-1987 (version 4), the first character in date fields is either a
> space or a 0.  " YYDDD" are 19YY dates, "0YYDDD" are 20YY dates.
>

> I have paper copies of -1978 and -1987.  I don't think it's legal to
> put them up on bitsavers, though.  I think you still have to purchase
> copies from whoever publishes them now.
>
> Larry Baker
> US Geological Survey
> 650-329-5608
> baker at usgs.gov <mailto:baker at usgs.gov>
My paper copy of 78 has a copyright.  It also has a restriction on
reproduction in any form, including electronic.

My paper copy of 87 is a printout of a text file that does not.  Might
have come from a DEC committee member, though the title page includes
"Approved March 16, 1987".

CBEMA was the secretariat that produced these standards.

I don't know what ANSI's (or INCITS, the successor to CBEMA's) policy is
on re-distribution of obsolete versions of its standards.

Those interested can ask ANSI for permission to put them on bitsavers
for historical research purposes.  One doesn't know what they'll say
without asking... "yes" is possible.

ANSI customer service is: info at ansi.org <mailto:info at ansi.org>
INCITS: incits at itic.org <mailto:lbarra at itic.org>

Historical research/preservation as a reason often unlocks doors.

The 1978 version might be off copyright depending on when it was
registered.  It was approved in 1977, so it would have expired after 28
years if not renewed.  Would anyone have bothered?  But the rules are
complicated.  See http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf.

The 1987 version would be under the new copyright rules, modulo the fact
that my copy doesn't have a copyright statement.

Have fun.