[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Larry Baker baker at usgs.gov
Fri Jan 8 14:44:55 EST 2016

Paul,

On 8 Jan 2016, at 11:24 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Jan 8, 2016, at 2:13 PM, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>>
>> I asked our (Intel's) corporate librarians to see if they could find X3.27-xxx and in particular -1969 (the original) and -1978 which was version 3.   I agree with Paul, that V3 (-1978) was the version that most people implemented. I seems to remember that, VMS started with V2 and upgraded to 3 - as I remember on VAX Serial #1 trying to read tapes from it on the 360 or the Univac was funky.
>>
>> I wish I could remember what changed between the versions.  I once knew, and I've sent a note to one of my old housemates that wrote some of the VMS tape support years ago.  He might remember/have some of this stuff.
>
> I think, but this is a *very* vague memory, that one of the later additions was the addition of the century number to the date fields. Originally, ANSI labels were not Y2K compliant.
>
> 	paul

That is correct.  In X3.27-1978 (version 3) and earlier, date fields are 6 characters " YYDDD".  The first character must be a space.  In X3.27-1987 (version 4), the first character in date fields is either a space or a 0.  " YYDDD" are 19YY dates, "0YYDDD" are 20YY dates.

I have paper copies of -1978 and -1987.  I don't think it's legal to put them up on bitsavers, though.  I think you still have to purchase copies from whoever publishes them now.

Larry Baker
US Geological Survey
650-329-5608
baker at usgs.gov