[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Rich Alderson simh at alderson.users.panix.com
Wed Jan 6 19:12:01 EST 2016

> From: Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com>
> Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 16:00:19 -0800

> Meanwhile, the 'crude' way to exchange data on most simulators can
> actually be done with cut and paste in console or telnet sessions.

While I do use c&p for command lines from time to time, I've never found it to
be satisfactory for file transfer.  For that, I wrote a set of programs for
TOPS-20 to create or disassemble .tap (in klh10 terms, .tps) files.  (Well, I
also wrote versions for .tpc files, but I've never had reason to keep them up
to date as I've improved on the .tap variants.)

These have stood me in good stead for TOPS-20, Tops-10, ITS, and WAITS work,
moving data between real media, real systems, image files, and both SimH and
klh10.  I advocate for using tape images for most data transfer, since most of
the emulated minis and mainframes under SimH never had any kind of networking.

On the other hand, I'm one of the three people I know of in the world who still
makes a living programming in PDP-10 assembler.

                                                                Rich