[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 6 17:52:37 EST 2016

On 2016-01-06 16:51, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Jan 6, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

>> As for transferring files to and from your RSTS/E system, you do know of KERMIT, right? Telnet into the RSTS/E system, start a kermit server there, switch back to your local kermit, and then send/receive files to your hearts content.
>>
>> Other options could be using a disk with the files on it, setting up tapes, but also, if simh supports it, possibly using the virtual DOS device, that other emulators have, as well as using DECnet.
>
> I'm not sure what a DOS device is.

It's a simple device that actually can be used to access files on the
host system from within the emulator. E11 has it, as do the Osprey-11, I
think it was. Or if it was Charon-11. Can't remember.
Anyway, I can't remember seeing it mentioned for simh, so I suspect it
don't exist there.
The controller is pretty simple, but unfortunately a bit broken. So, you
can use it to open/create a file on the host, and read/write to it.
However, the way it is designed, you cannot actually do simultaneous
access to several files reliably.

> A couple of options:
>
> 1. DECnet.  NFT will use the DAP protocol to do file transfer; if you have a compatible DAP implementation at the other end that would work.  DECnet/Linux can do this, I believe.
>
> 2. Paper tape, as discussed here.
>
> 3. Magtape.  DOS format labels are very simple; ANSI isn't much harder.  For extra credit, someone could write an implementation of VMS BACKUP -- RSTS can read those tapes (with some restrictions) in V9.0 or later.
>
> 4. Disk.  Years ago I wrote a program "rstsflx" that can read and write RSTS disk images.  It should still be around; if not I should build some new kits and supply them to whoever can offer a place for them.

And, as I mentioned, KERMIT, which I would say is actually the easiest,
most straight forward option.

	Johnny