[Simh] RSTS/E 10.1-L and Paper tape

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jan 6 10:51:07 EST 2016

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 9:44 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> As for transferring files to and from your RSTS/E system, you do know of KERMIT, right? Telnet into the RSTS/E system, start a kermit server there, switch back to your local kermit, and then send/receive files to your hearts content.
>
> Other options could be using a disk with the files on it, setting up tapes, but also, if simh supports it, possibly using the virtual DOS device, that other emulators have, as well as using DECnet.

I'm not sure what a DOS device is.

A couple of options:

1. DECnet.  NFT will use the DAP protocol to do file transfer; if you have a compatible DAP implementation at the other end that would work.  DECnet/Linux can do this, I believe.

2. Paper tape, as discussed here.

3. Magtape.  DOS format labels are very simple; ANSI isn't much harder.  For extra credit, someone could write an implementation of VMS BACKUP -- RSTS can read those tapes (with some restrictions) in V9.0 or later.

4. Disk.  Years ago I wrote a program "rstsflx" that can read and write RSTS disk images.  It should still be around; if not I should build some new kits and supply them to whoever can offer a place for them.

	paul