[Simh] Configuring DMC11 Devices

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Tue Jan 5 20:59:16 EST 2016

On 05-Jan-16 20:23, Paul Koning wrote:
> The thing to keep in mind is that BSEL1 is implemented in logic; it's not like the higher numbered registers that are just a dual ported memory manipulated by the KMC11 microcode.  The KMC11 reference manual spells some of this out; for example, you can't make sense of MSTEP and ROMI references in the driver from the DMC11 manual, you need the KMC11 manual for that.
>
> 	paul

IIRC the DMR tech manual has more detail than the DMC.  The KMC11 manual
is best read with the prints in sight and a TTL data book nearby.
Unless you remember the formulae for timing resistors/caps on TTL 7412x
and other arcana.

The KMC11 functional emulation that I did handles single-stepping the
micro-instructions used by the OS for reading and writing the
instruction and data RAM.  (Well, at least the ones I knew about.  I
didn't test under RSTS.)  See kmc_doMicroinstruction() in pdp11_kmc.c.
The emulation went to some trouble to support microcode load and dump,
and to present a moving microPC.

I believe you'll also find that I made master clear immediate; as in
it's never set in the register.  So apparently Mark didn't take that
part of the KMC when he forked the DMC/DMR.  Again, the KMC emulation
emulates the COMMIOP-DUP microcode, not a general KMC.

Although I provided some advice, I don't think I ever took a close look
at the DMC/DMR code; I certainly never reviewed or validated it, though
debugging the DMR on the KS10 was (and is) on my "needs a round TUIT" list.

All assuming other fingers haven't been in the KMC....it's been a couple
of years since I touched that code.