[Simh] exit fig-forth monitor in RST/E

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Jan 3 20:04:53 EST 2016

> On Jan 3, 2016, at 7:20 PM, Christian Gauger-Cosgrove <captainkirk359 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's neat learning the history of it. I didn't know why DEC had
> included a FORTH RTS nor what the SDA.4TH program actually was (I had
> guessed that ODT.4TH was related in some what to ODT). It appears that
> the SDA source is in UNSUPP$:, namely SDA.FTH. I don't see the ODT
> source however.

That reminded me of something I had forgotten: SDA reads its help messages out of its own source file, so the source file is included in order for the help command to work.

ODT doesn't need this; it doesn't have a help facility like that.  Here is the header from the source; that lists what's different in comparison with ODT.BAS (which is documented in the standard RSTS manuals).

	paul

\
\			O D T . F T H
\
\ This program is a FORTH implementation of the standard RSTS utility
\ ODT.TSK, with some enhancements.  The additional features are:
\
\	1. Double-length arithmetic -- all arithmetic (addressing
\	   and expression evaluation) is done in 32-bits
\	2. Access to all of memory -- you get both read and write (CAUTION!!!)
\	   access to all of memory (via .PLAS), not just to lowcore.
\	3. Interpretation of directory links for NFS access.  The D command
\	   (was Control/D in ODT.TSK) works no matter how you're accessing
\	   the directory.
\	4. New K command.  The K command takes a DCN, and prints the
\	   corresponding byte address.  Alternatively, you can type K
\	   when a location is open; this causes the first word of the
\	   DCN addressed by that word to be opened.  Handy when following
\	   DCN pointers in NFS access to directories.