[Simh] exit fig-forth monitor in RST/E

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 19:20:05 EST 2016

On 3 January 2016 at 16:56, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> I wonder if it's documented in some obscure spot, or if we neglected to do so.  The answer is: the word "CCL" passes the string that follows to RSTS as a command to execute.  So any CCL command (anything added with define/command/system) will work.  Normally "switch" is such a command, so you would do "ccl switch" (or the equivalent "ccl switch dcl").

Thank you very, very much for that. I don't think I ever saw mention
of that, at least within RSTS/E itself.

> Actually, it's because I ported it to RSTS as an internal tool, and managed to get it shipped so long as DEC wouldn't have to support it.  There are two FORTH programs that should be included: one is ODT which is like the Basic ODT tool except that it handles large files, and the other is SDA which is an interactive crashdump analyzer inspired by (but not derived from) the VMS tool by that name.  I don't remember if the sources are distributed; if not, SDA does have a HELP command that should give you some ideas.
>
> This Forth implementation is a port of Fig-FORTH by John S. James, with some RSTS-specific magic added.  I just realized the file header says that it is in the public domain, so I suppose I should post the source...

Well, I stand corrected; by one of the people responsible for the
existence of the RTS in question! :P

That's neat learning the history of it. I didn't know why DEC had
included a FORTH RTS nor what the SDA.4TH program actually was (I had
guessed that ODT.4TH was related in some what to ODT). It appears that
the SDA source is in UNSUPP$:, namely SDA.FTH. I don't see the ODT
source however.

On 3 January 2016 at 18:43, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
> So the question would be: where should it go?  Bitsavers?  trailing-edge.com?

Why not both? Would be useful to have it in multiple places.

Cheers,
Christian
--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove