[Simh] programming in binary

Bill Cunningham billcun at suddenlink.net
Sun Feb 28 15:35:25 EST 2016

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/events/EDSAC99/simulators/

This is kind of interesting.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: dave porter
  To: simh at trailing-edge.com
  Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [Simh] programming in binary

  As I understand it. the EDSAC (the first or second, depending on how you
  counted, stored-program machine in production service) had an
  assembler/bootstrap (modern terminology, or course) program wired into a
  bank of uniselectors as the 'initial orders'.  This allowed for
  single-character instruction mnemonics and decimal storage addresses. 'A'
  for 'add' seems clear enough to me, but 'V' for multiply-and-add is less so.
  So, we apparently had assemblers from more-or-less the very beginning.