[Simh] programming in binary

dave porter dave_list_addr at verizon.net
Sun Feb 28 15:07:27 EST 2016

As I understand it. the EDSAC (the first or second, depending on how you
counted, stored-program machine in production service) had an
assembler/bootstrap (modern terminology, or course) program wired into a
bank of uniselectors as the 'initial orders'.  This allowed for
single-character instruction mnemonics and decimal storage addresses. 'A'
for 'add' seems clear enough to me, but 'V' for multiply-and-add is less so.
So, we apparently had assemblers from more-or-less the very beginning.