[Simh] NH14 and TR01

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Sat Feb 27 18:02:45 EST 2016

On 27-Feb-16 17:42, Paul Koning wrote:
> Height Analysis was the category assigned to the N class part
> numbers way back.  The vocabulary was different
> then.  DEC modules included Pulse Amplifiers and Pulse delay lines.  The
> KA10 was built with asynchronous logic
> (no clock).  It's more likely that the name came from that - but I don't
> know.  It's actually quite odd that the NH14
> ended up there, as A* was used for DA/AD converters.  It's possible that
> someone slipped NH as a play on the
> state past the chief engineer's office.    Or it's possible that you're
> on the right track and the application area
> was one of the national labs.
> I would guess a simpler explanation: the application area is nuclear physics, so N may simply be "nuclear".
>
> 	paul

What the OML says (and what I originally posted) is:

Note that A is reserved for ADCs, which this device clearly is.

It was actually quite involved to get a part number assigned.   There
was a passion for
semantic part numbers, for consistency, and for accurate
characterization.  This one is
an interesting anomaly.   Aside from a series of packaged PDP11-based
SCADA systems,
very few N-series part numbers were actually issued, and they seem
random.  VAXcamera is one.

"National Labs" = DOE facilities: Oak Ridge, Livermore, Sandia, Los Alamos.