[Simh] Klh10 vs Simh

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Feb 27 12:23:58 EST 2016

On 2016-02-27 17:53, Michael Kerpan wrote:
> It's not that multiuser is impossible using KLH10 networking emulation
> and native TOPS-20 TCP/IP, it's that it's a lot harder to set up than a
> SIMH virtual multiplexer. Wifi (under Linux at least) doesn't play all
> that well with bridging and virtual networking stuff, which makes
> setting up networking in KLH10 nigh impossible for those of us stuck on
> wireless. I can't even really set up a VM and run KLH10 in a guest,
> because Virtualbox's bridged mode doesn't work for me. Additionally, the
> idea of putting anything running a 30 year old TCP/IP stack onto the
> Internet scares me, even if the folks at twenex.org <http://twenex.org>
> have done so.

The WiFi problem is easy to solve. It's called a router. Your host
routes IP between the WiFi interface and the virtual network the host
and your virtual machine shares.

Trouble setting up networking on the virtual machine? Maybe. But this
boils down to - if you want to run that host, you should learn how to
manage it.

Security issues are mostly non-issues. How many script kiddies today
even know what a TOPS-20 host is. There are most certainly
vulnerabilities, but they are very different from the ones presented by
modern machines.

I have an RSX system on the Internet, and it gets constant probing over
telnet and http, but they are all probing in ways that just don't make
sense. So I have never felt more secure.

	Johnny