[Simh] Klh10 vs Simh

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Fri Feb 26 00:02:49 EST 2016

Timothe Litt <litt at ieee.org> wrote:

> If the recently promised release of Linux code for DECnet/LAT
> materializes, you'll be able to
> connect to KLH10-based machines with as many connections as you can keep
> track of.

I use mainly FreeBSD, and it contains /usr/ports/net/latd, which sort
of works.  I say sort of, since there are some fairly big warts there.

Major nits are:

*  When you start latd, it *refuses* to use an interface that does
   not have an IPv4 address assigned.  Obviously there is a need for
   an IPv4 address to be assigned on an interface intended to be used
   for a different protocol.... NOT!

*  The concept of taking characters typed on the keyboard and sending
   them unmolested to the other end is apparently alien to some.

   Putting llogin in a wrapper like:

      #!/bin/sh
      save_state=$(stty -g)
      stty raw
      stty cs7
      llogin -c $1
      stty "$save_state"

   sort of solves that issue.

*  llogin should drop to a command handler like telnet does upon
   receipt of its break character, instead of terminating itself.

*  Speaking of break, it should NOT turn the NULL character into
   the aforementioned break function (OOB function in LAT), but
   rather pass it thru and let the command level mentioned above
   provide the means of sending a break if that is ever needed.

Apart from that it sort of works.

--Johnny