[Simh] RT-11 Storage Strategy

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Feb 22 03:50:09 EST 2016

On 2016-02-21 16:51, Paul Koning wrote:

>>> Yes, but that's still quite a lot faster than running it on DECtape.
>>>
>>> Still, the amazing part is that RT on DECtape actually works.  It's the only DEC OS I know of for which that is true.
>>
>> Like others said, lots of PDP-8 systems definitely ran only from DECtape. So that is not unique by any means.
>>
>> But more generally - DECtape is just a block addressable mass storage system, just like any other. In theory, any OS that can run from a disk can just as well run from DECtape. Speed will be slow, but that's the only thing about it.
>
> True in principle.  But a number of OS used a different file structure for DECtape than for disks -- because of the performance issues.  DOS does, for example, and RSTS copied the DOS DECtape directory structure (but not the disk one).  RT11, on the other hand, uses the same format for both, and the RT11 format works well.  That's why RT runs from DECtape without any extra work, while DOS and RSTS don't.

Interesting. I didn't know that RSTS/E used a different file system for
DECtapes. RSX do not. It's the same file system used on both large
disks, floppies and DECtapes.
RSX do have a few different options on how to deal with disks, but that
has to do with if you have subdirectories on the device or not, and you
can choose how the file system is done for any type of device. It's just
a question of optimizing the layout for different purposes.

	Johnny