[Simh] DECWRITE backup set

Gary Lee Phillips tivo.overo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 11:07:18 EST 2016

To complete the information for you, Timothe, I did get the VMSINSTAL
to run successfully on two SimH VAX setups. There was a complaint
issued about a missing license for the "lexicon" which suggested to me
that perhaps the spelling checker won't work.

Although DECWrite is installed, and appears on the menus in
DECWindows, it does not run. I remembered that you (or someone else?)
said that a bug in the program means that the CMKRNL privilege is
required to run it, and I did make sure I had that before attempting
it. I also tried running it under the SYSTEM account, which should
sidestep any issues with privilege. From the point of view of the
DECWindows user, nothing happens when the program is launched.

The error message logs, however, do indicate a clear problem. During
initialization, the following error message appears:

%DCL-W-ACTIMAGE, error activating image XDPS$DPSLIBSHR

Without knowing what this image is, I am guessing that something else
had to be installed first. I don't see any suggestion that another
product was needed beyond DECWindows itself, though.

The connection and DECWindows itself do work as expected. I can run
other built-in applications without difficulty. Perhaps someone on the
list has more information about this problem?

I'm still hoping to get hold of the Alpha version of this package to
see if it will work there.

--Gary