[Simh] EXT : Alpha under SIMH

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Feb 19 13:05:48 EST 2016

On 19-Feb-16 12:42, Hittner, David T (IS) wrote:
> No. SIMH Alpha is just the CPU, no system (motherboard) and no peripherals. It is not in a runnable state.
>
> Alpha emulations are available commercially from multiple sources:
> 	Migration Specialties
> 	SRI (Charon)
> 	AVTware
> 	etc.
>
> Dave Hittner

The SRI name died about a decade ago.  The company was bought by a
private investor, and renamed Stromasys.  It's in Switzerland and North
Carolina.

For a commercial application, some research is indicated.

The quality of the various commercial emulators varies.  Two dimensions
to look at (besides cost) are support and performance.

Some are straightforward emulators like SimH.  Others do various forms
of code generation.  All have bugs (like all software.)

You also need to look at licensing issues - I know some emulator vendors
had relationships with HP, others didn't.  And depending on when you got
your software license (and who from) it may or may not be transferable
to an emulator.  Remember that HP has split.

HP used to say that if you could reproduce a problem on real hardware,
they'd look at it.  Otherwise not.  That may have evolved, and may
depend on the vendor involved.  Also, the relationship with VMSSoftware
adds a new dimension, though I think they're sticking with Itanium and
(eventually) x86-64.

I also wouldn't assume that the new HPs  - I assume this stuff ended up
in HPE, but don't know - have the same rules as the old one.

There used to be a non-commercial license for Charon, but I haven't seen
mention of it lately.

I'm not speaking for any of the companies mentioned.