[Simh] Simh Digest, Vol 145, Issue 52

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Tue Feb 16 20:22:09 EST 2016

On Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 10:51 AM Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2016-02-16 17:54, lists at openmailbox.org wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:49:27 +0100
> > Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2016-02-16 17:43, lists at openmailbox.org wrote:
> >> For a lot of embedded, low power stuff, it would have made more sense
> >> to use PDP-11s. But DEC had those chips as well, and was somewhat
> >> unwilling in that market too. Imagine if they had tries to really
> >> push for getting PDP-11s out there in all kind of devices, and made
> >> one or two more implementations to shrink and reduce power... That
> could have been nice.
> >
> > You're just saying that because you want to run an RSX-based
> > smartphone ;-)
>
> Of course, that would be nice. :-)

Well, of course an RSX-based smartphone isn't going to happen, BUT
with an Android based phone you could run a simh PDP11 simulator
running RSX and likely have it talk to the internet via your (Johnny's)
TCP/IP package.  I haven’t tried to build using the Android cross
development tools for a couple of years, but the github makefile
worked fine the last time I tried.  :-)

- Mark