[Simh] VAX/VMS

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:51:25 EST 2016

something

Perhaps relocation. Allows code to run from any start address. Also storage
keys which allow memory to be protected.
Virtual Memory was first patented by Manchester University and implemented
in Atlas. I believe IBM later acquired this patent.

There are many later patents for virtual memory improvements.....

> remarkably like the S/360. It lists the full microcode and has extensive
> hardware schematics.
>
> The patent number is 1,108,800. Inventors: Gene Myron Amdahl et al.
> USA patent application number 357372, 6 April 1964. The issued patent
> number is US003400371.

I believe that Amdahl (as a company) also came up with the patent for a
control processor....
... so IBM paid them for every mainframe with a control processor, and
Amdahl paid IBM for the Virtual Memory Patents...

> -Olaf.
> --
> ___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
> \X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'

Dave
G4UGM