[Simh] VAX/VMS

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Tue Feb 16 14:58:06 EST 2016

On Tue 16 Feb 2016 at 08:58:11 -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> Dave be careful --   S/360 Model 67 has VM in the late 1960's - TSS and
> it's brother MTS, both rely on it.   The 67 is a Model 65 with a  Data
> Address Translation unit (DAT box) - is supplied by a 8 x 32 bit TLB which
> is in a cabinet that t'ed off the main CPU and is about the same size en
> entire Vax 780 which would follow 10 years later.

Note that I have rescued at some point in the past an IBM patent (it was
the UK version) of a computer with microcode, and maybe Virtual Memory
too. Although they didn't call it that I think. After reading, it
described something remarkably like the S/360. It lists the full
microcode and has extensive hardware schematics.

The patent number is 1,108,800. Inventors: Gene Myron Amdahl et al.
USA patent application number 357372, 6 April 1964. The issued patent
number is US003400371.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'