[Simh] VAX/VMS

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 02:22:24 EST 2016

Ethan Dicks schreef op 16-2-2016 om 08:18:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Wilm Boerhout <wboerhout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> More precisely, V7.3 will run on *any* VAX, including the primal VAX-11/780.
>> This level of backwards compatibility is unique.
> I'm sure 7.3 has a very broad list of what it runs on, but
> (considering I own the hardware in question), does it run on the
> smallest of the small?  VAX-11/725?  MicroVAX 2000?  In the case of
> the 11/725 (and the 11/730), minimum memory requirements come to mind.
> They are limited to 5MB (the MicroVAX 2000 can take far more memory
> than that and is not a problem there)
[snip]

Plain VMS 7.3, with DECnet, will run on a 11/725 and uVAX 2000. Just set
the MAXPROCESSCNT to 16 or 12 and AUTOGEN. DECwindows -- no way. TCP/IP
-- ditto. Maybe you could squeeze in a Fortran compiler. VMStailor will
do wonders if you're tight on disk space and do not need all the
optional components.

/Wilm